[lro] Magnet on a floppy stick

From: Nick Fankhauser (nick@fankhausers.com)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 08:27:21 EST

    Dave, et al-

    A great place to get very small and very strong magnets for making retrieval
    tools is off of the head arm in a discarded disk drive. They're about 1/2"
    square & 1/16" thick, but it takes a screwdriver to pry them off my toolbox.

    When fishing for something that slides to a low point, magnet-onna-string
    works well for me, it just needs to be weak enough to not jump up to any
    iron above as it slides down to the victim.

    Regards,

    -Nick