[lro] Update on the "Aardvark"

From: A. P. (Sandy) Grice (apg4@pinn.net)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 10:09:13 EST

    Art <artbitt@netscape.net> wrote:

    >Getting the distributor drive in was fun. Getting that grub screw located
    in the bushing was timew consuming. Finally got it lined up, fitted the
    distributor-seems to be out (rotor points the wrong way) Going to run the
    wires on the cap different rather that trying to redo the drive!

    Did you remember that steel "doughnut" or distributor drive gear adapter?
    When I had the engine rebuilt by the machine shop, I kept the doughnut and
    the distributor together with the vehicle, so this innocuous part wouldn't
    go astray. Didn't discover that the machine shop had the distributor drive
    gear 180 degrees out 'til the engine was back in place. Rather than having
    it fire 4-2-1-3, I pulled the gear and spent the better part of an
    afternoon hunched over the wing trying to get it and that damned grub screw
    back in correctly. I lost count of the number of times I was one spline
    off, 'cause the gear rotates as it slides into place on the
    camshaft...maddening.... A short break away from the vehicle and a stiff
    drink helped immeasurably.

    Cheers