Re: [lro] OT: Zetor tractors

From: Mark Pilkington (mark@skywagons.com)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 16:06:24 EST

    OK, here is a story about a Zetor tractor. It was a big one though. It was
    about 100 HP with a full cab. About 10 years ago I was asked to "farm sit" a
    friends farm in Scotland while he and his wife went away on holiday for 10
    days. It was in Perthshire in the central highlands and was about 500 acres
    of hill with sheep and a few suckler cattle. No crops. I had worked on a
    lot of farms at college for holiday money and so I was asked to do this so
    the sheep stayed fed and cattle did not escape. I had the run of the place.
    There was a Zetor Four wheel drive Tractor and a Land Rover in the barn.
    the Zetor was brand new and was the farmer's pride and joy. It was actually
    bloody good, a lot of power and electric on demand four wheel drive with
    bigger than normal front tires, power steering A/C and a stereo. The Land
    Rover was an old Series beater of unknown age to me then. It was much like
    the old Land Rovers on all the farms across England, Scotland and Wales. The
    land was grassland with some woodland and dry stone walls here and there.
    Nothing was flat and as you went further uphill the "fields" gave way to
    open hill with heather and bog on it. The tradition, if you are running
    sheep on a hill like this is to cut drainage ditches up and down it so the
    peat drains a bit and lets grass grow so the sheep have food. It is hard
    land to farm. It is where Land Rovers live and die unrecognised.
        The deal was that during the 10 days I had to shoot a deer on the high
    country so that they had one for the winter. The farmer had a Rigby 270 in
    the cupboard that I could use and he indicated where the deer normally
    appear and then he left. I thought that I would shoot the deer late in the
    10 days so that it could hang for a day or so in the barn and then the
    farmer and his wife could butcher it themselves when they got back. The
    only words of caution that he gave me before he left was NOT to take the
    Zetor above the stone wall that separated the fields from the open hill
    because it was rough and boggy. I said that I would not even have a need to
    use the tractor at all let alone go up there in it. So on that note, off
    they went. It basically rained almost full time. I fed the sheep and cattle
    each day and walked the hills with my air-rifle when it was not raining. I
    drove the old Landy about in the mud and left it at the hill gate when I had
    to go further. I saw deer a few times and noted when and where they were
    for later. About 5 days in, I thought that I better check the 270 was
    zeroed in and so I took it into the upper field with 20 bullets and sighted
    it at 200 yards on a gallon orange juice container which exploded very
    satisfactorily when hit. After three shots I reckoned that it was good
    enough. Remember that in Britain, there is no Fish and game, no rangers, no
    limits and no tags and amazingly contrary to popular belief over here in the
    US, the sound of gunfire in the countryside is so common that no-one pays
    much attention to it. I lightly oiled the gun and put it away knowing that
    any red deer I could get within 200 yards was history.
        When there was only two days left until the owner came back I took the
    270 out again and put it in the gunrack in the Land Rover and headed out to
    the hill. I parked it in the trees and carefully stalked around downwind
    from where the deer normally were. When I eventually saw them, they were
    much higher than normal out on the open heather up the hill. "What he hell"
    I thought and followed them up there, it was only a few miles. After a few
    hours of cunning manovering in open country I had positioned myself so that
    I had a clear shot. I scanned the 30 or so deer through the scope and
    picked out a good one. Not too big so and not too small, just one that the
    gene pool would not miss too much and that I could easily get back to he
    farm. Down it went with a single shot and off the rest ran. I went over and
    gutted (Graulloched) the deer which lightens them up considerably. A normal
    red deer will weigh about 300 Lbs with no guts. The ones in the woodland are
    bigger than the ones on the open hill, they are the same species as an Elk,
    only smaller. They roar instead of "bugle" and they have the same mane and
    the dark antlers. I shouldered the rifle and started to drag the deer down
    hill to the Land Rover or at least to the gate. They drag surprisingly
    easily with the direction of the hair and on sloping wet ground, but after
    200 yards or so I was sweating, hot and pissed off. I deceided that I could
    get the Land rover over the drainage ditches and through the heather and
    drive right up to the deer so I set off without it to get the Land Rover. A
    few hours later I was on my way back in the Landy which was a SWB truck-cab
    and was doing quite well in 4WD low when the left side wheels both fell into
    a ditch that was covered with heather. That was it, it was stuck, bellied
    out on it's chassis the full length. Time was passing and evening was only
    a few hours away so I had to get the deer in and free the landy, and he only
    way to do it was with the shiney new Zetor. Against my better judgement, I
    took the tractor through the hill gate and out onto the hill. In Four wheel
    drive it bridged he ditches, it drove effortlessly over the heather, if a
    wheel went into a ditch, I stamped on the diff-lock and drove right out.
    The farmer would never know. I would free the Landy, and pick up the deer
    in it and get the tractor back in the barn. I got to the Land Rover,
    attached a chain and simply yanked it out of the ditch with ease not running
    and with no-one in it. Once on terra firma again I drove the half mile to
    the deer and loaded it in the back with some difficulty and some swearing.
    Once in there I turned the Landy round and headed back and promptly bogged
    it down again. This was getting stupid, I thought I could drive off road
    and had been stuck twice now. I was about 5 miles from a road of any sort
    and I had two vehicles and a dead deer up here on the hill. A bit annoyed, I
    walked back to the Zetor and fired it up and drove straight to the Landy
    without much care. It seemed as if it was impervious to getting stuck, so
    why not take the shortest route right? Well I found out why not when the
    Zetor started to slow and wallow even though I added power. Before I knew
    it I was well into a peat bog that had grass on it. Some of these things
    are bottomless. "Bugger" I thought as I selected reverse. It wallowed some
    more and moved little and sank a bit further in. Forward, nothing, back,
    worse, it was sinking into the bloody bog. Soon, because of all the
    vibration I was up to the base of the axle in the rear, about halfway up the
    big rear tires. the difflock did nothing and the 4WD only meant that the
    front wheel could bury themselves too. There was no traction at all. When I
    finally admitted defeat, the arse-end of the tractor was almost completely
    buried. All the hydraulics were buried in peat and it was leaning at such a
    crazy angle that when I opened the door, the bottom of the door touched the
    ground. It was he most stuck thing I have ever seen, and I have seen a few
    stuck things! (I have a picture somewhere) And, worse, it was about 3 miles
    above where I was told never to take it. Now that all my options were gone
    I tried very hard to get the Landy out. Because I had gone straight for the
    tractor, I had not really trid before to get it out. I managed to free it
    with the added weight of the deer for traction I managed to get it back onto
    the tracks I had made on the way up the hill. A little later I was back in
    the farmyard and I hung the deer in the barn and hosed off the Land Rover
    and went into the house. It was dark by now so I left the Zetor to the
    night out there on the hill. The next day I tried to arrange a big forestry
    tractor to come and pull it out. They have four wheels all the same size
    and can pull anything except a stuck, bogged down water logged Zetor tractor
    I found out. There was nowhere to sit the monster tractor without all it's
    own gyrations making it start to sink. Where it was jerking and pulling and
    backing up, it looked like the Somme and amazingly the Zetor was not moving,
    like it was in concrete. The peat had settled an all around it. The top
    third of the right rear wheel was visible, half the left and half the front
    ones. It has settled in the night so that you could only get in the left
    door AND they opened forwards. I did not get it out before the farmer got
    back. He was actually OK about it. It took a day to recover with some
    really heavy equipment and when they did, it's gearbox and rear axle was
    full of water. In the end apparently, it took a persistant pressure on a few
    chains to get it to move to break the suction rather than jerking it. He
    was happy that the livestock were still alive and that I had got him a deer
    and was a bit quiet about the tracto!!. I apologised profusely and he said
    that he would have done the same if he had had to drag the deer that far. I
    got off lightly and after a few oil changes the Zetor was as good as new.
    They are very popular with the smaller farmers because they are cheap to
    buy. I never had a problem with one other than getting that one stuck, but I
    was using it for things that I should not have been using it for.
    Thanks, I had not thought about that for a while.
    Kind regards,
    Mark Pilkington