Re: [lro] OT: Zetor tractors

From: John Cranfield (john.cranfield@ns.sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 17:00:12 EST

    Great story Mark,

    Mark Pilkington wrote:

    > OK, here is a story about a Zetor tractor. It was a big one though. It was
    > about 100 HP with a full cab.

    I've had tractors well stuck so I have a very good mental picture.
    There is a method of extracting large tractors with much smaller
    equipment that works unbelievably well.
    Take a long and strong chain and feed one end through the rim of a rear
    wheel making a loop up over the tire and hooking the chain to itself.
    This requires a grab hook. you then run the chain out the rear of the
    tractor and attach it to the vehicle you are using as an anchor. select
    reverse and engage the diff lock and allow the tractor the wind the
    chain round the wheel as you back up. Effectively you have made a winch
    with a very large drum. Also the tractor tends to climb up the chain as
    the chain is pulled down under the wheel.
    This MUST be done in reverse. Attempting to do it forwards will cause
    the front to lift and flip the tractor in the time it takes for 1/2 a
    wheel rotation.
    John and Muddy