[lro] Cuthbertson and other track conversions...

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 22:41:22 EST

    Has anyone seen a 4wd outfitted with these conversions up close?

    Did some searching, all it seems to be is old Bombardier Ski-Doo sprocket
    drive technology. Affix the sprockets and two support bearings to a
    specially made piece bolted to the wheel hub, and then support the weight of
    the vehicle on this spindle. Actually quite a simple affair, easily built at
    home from some snowmobile parts (drive sprockets, idler wheels and rubber
    tracks). I wonder what the chances of finding four identical tracks at the
    local snowmobile recycler's place would be.

    Installation would be a matter of unbolting the tires and bolting these
    puppies on. Instant gear reduction and simply wonderful floatation. A wider
    offset could be built in, as I doubt the soft fluffiness of snow would be
    able to produce the shocks that might damage the suspension or bearings by
    having the weight supported far out from the spindle.

    Anyone out there think that they would be darn cool to play with? I wonder
    what Winter Romp would be like on tracks...

    J-L