Re: [lro] Cuthbertson and other track conversions...

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 08:42:09 EST

    --- Jean-Leon Morin <offroaddesign@softhome.net> wrote:

    > Has anyone seen a 4wd outfitted with these conversions up
    > close?

    Yup - had the pleasure of seeing one up close and personal
    in the UK last time I was there - Gaydon has two.

    > Did some searching, all it seems to be is old Bombardier
    > Ski-Doo sprocket
    > drive technology. Affix the sprockets and two support
    > bearings to a
    > specially made piece bolted to the wheel hub, and then
    > support the weight of
    > the vehicle on this spindle.

    Not quite that simple, but essentially you've got the idea
    there. If I remember correctly there was some springing in
    the thing to keep the track flat to the ground independent
    of the body angle, as well as a helluva lot of fiddly bits
    for springing the bogeys.

    Come to think of it, I'm remembering subsidiary frames
    under the axles, with the tracks and running gear bolted to
    them. In short, you had a cradle of sorts the axles dropped
    into and were fastened to - these also contained the track
    assemblies. Then the drive assemblies went onto the hubs
    not unlike wheels with spikes from Hell.

    > I wonder what the chances of finding four
    > identical tracks at the
    > local snowmobile recycler's place would be.

    You are out of your mind....

    > Anyone out there think that they would be darn cool to
    > play with? I wonder
    > what Winter Romp would be like on tracks...

    See previous commentary.... but if you're serious I think I
    got a good photo of the Cuthbertson in the museum when i
    was there - long with all sorts of other fun stuff.

    Please tell me you're not going to do this to poor old
    Valdez....

          aj"I wish I has that much time to play...8*)"r

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://mailplus.yahoo.com