Re: [lro] Wiring

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 12:07:34 EST

    On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 08:28 AM, Nick Danger wrote:
    > . The only non stock
    > electricals I have in there now are the high beam switch

    This might be a good time to consider additions such as replacing the
    generator with an alternator that has a built in voltage regulator,
    possible relays for headlamps (if you might want to install more
    powerful headlamps in he future), relay for the horn (if you ever wish
    it to beep to it's potential), a relay for all the ignition switch
    controlled non-lighting electrics (because the switch is very expensive
    new and can not handle much current), possible radios & such. I assume
    your hallas are on a relay and you are not routing their power through
    a Lucas switch.

    I suggest using the British standard wiring code. it makes the circuit
    easier for you or someone else to troubleshoot. British Pacific
    carries striped wire, and there is a British wire use colour code in
    the new online series catalogue. Both BP and RN carry solder on
    terminals, barrel connectors and new replacement grommets for where
    wires go through sheet metal.

    if you have any gauges that are not in top shape BP offers a rebuilding
    service and can special order any current Smiths & Lucas gauges. I
    recommend adding a Lucas volt meter.

    my harness has too many custom additions to be of much use to you. The
    best thing is to follow the factory harness diagram as a general
    guideline and take it one circuit at a time. Wire from battery to
    starter switch then from starter switch to motor, allows the engine to
    turn over. A wire from the hot side of the starter switch to the
    ignition switch allows you to add switched power. A wire from the
    ignition switch to one side of the coil & from the other side of the
    coil allows the engine to run. If you think of the circuits one at a
    time & by function it becomes easy.

    best of luck on the project.

    > TeriAnn J. wakeman
    Santa Cruz, California
      http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

    A member of the internet community since 1985.