RE: [lro] Uneven pad wear

From: Easton Trevor A (trevor_easton@dofasco.ca)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 12:02:50 EST

    Niall wrote

    I've got the same thing on my truck, JL. I got my safety inspection done by
    a guy who works on several RRCs in town and was telling him what work I'd
    done to the truck so far (I've already replaced the front pads, rotors, and
    one caliper). He said that he's found he has to rebuild the calipers every
    single time he changes the pads. There are always stuck pistons. I guess
    they are too succeptible to dirt and salt and stuff being thrown up from the

    road. One of my friends is actually planning on ordering a whole set of
    extra calipers so he can always have a rebuilt set on hand before the pads
    need to be changed (he's got three RRs).

    Anyway, don't know if there's any way to solve the problem. An some sort of
    hood over the caliper maybe?

    Ditto, for me also. The root of the problem seems to be the seals being in
    the end of the bore rather than on the piston. The sealing surface of the
    piston is thus exposed to the exterior as the pads wear and the piston
    extends. When you push the piston back to replace the pads it rips the seal
    to shreds. The impecunious LRO solution is to remove the old pads and
    caliper without pushing back the pistons, pull out the pistons and clean
    them thoroughly before reassembling (with new seals if you are finicky).
    Some high temp anti seize and occasional reapplication during pad wear cycle
    may save the pistons for a while. If you allow the pads to wear too far the
    piston can come right out of the caliper skew sideways and make the brake
    into a self applying/ self servo unit (ask me how I know this!!!)

    Trevor "89RR now with 1990 axles" Easton