Re: [lro] parts washers and associated solvents

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 11:05:28 EST

    --- Rob MacCormick <rmaccormick@olin.edu> wrote:

    First off, never start a message with "Greetings!" It tends
    to make those of us once of draft age twitch.....8*)

    > Currently
    > I'm interested
    > in parts washers and alternatives that are functional yet
    > safe to
    > handle and use (flammability/toxicity) and are more
    > environmentally
    > responsible than tradiational solvents associated with
    > parts washing.

    In the parts washer I have in the shop (Harbor Freight
    cheapo) I've had good luck with terpene-based cleaners as
    well as "green stuff/purple stuff" water based degreasers
    run at a high strength. If I'm doing carburettors or the
    like I tend to use a purchased gallon "dip can" of the
    bnasty solvent stuff - this is reusable for quite a while
    before it goets too crudded up.

    Terpenes work well - they were developed for the computer
    industry as an environment friendly degreaser and cleaner
    when it became blindingly obvious that open baths of Freon
    TF were not a great idea. Damn, Freon used to work VERY
    nicely, though it would literally take the skin off your
    hands if you made the mistake of reaching into a vapor
    degreaser after sometning w/o rubber gloves.

    My big issue with the crud coming out is that it is
    typically contaminated to hellandgone with oil-based
    crud...what do you do with it out the back end, so to
    speak?

                  ajr
             ajr

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://mailplus.yahoo.com