[lro] Re: Shipfitters' disease

From: Bradley_Harris@aigag.com
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 10:08:27 EST

    I agree that once you have survived a bout of shipfitters' disease, you are
    more likely to be infected again.

    I had a carb seal go bad in my 1971 Triumph TR6 which started leaking fuel
    directly above the exhaust manifold. I decided to rebuilt the carb. I am
    now in the middle of a COMPLETE frame off restoration. Every nut and bolt
    removed. The goal is to drive the vehicle again before I die. I then had
    the shocks go out on my Alfa Romeo Spider. I did better on this one and
    just rebuilt the entire suspension including new coils, sway bars,
    adjustable control arms, poly bushings and all new ball joints. I then had
    the head gasket develop a leak between the oil and coolant. Since I had the
    head off... I ended up shipping the head to an Alfa race machine shop and
    having the head completely done with larger valves and machined for a new
    intake cam. Oh yea, I also put in a new head gasket. I then had the clutch
    go out in the Afla due to age and the increased engine power. It is much
    easier at home to just pull the engine and transmission together. Since I
    have the engine out I might as well put in those higher compression
    pistons, new wet cylinder liners and rings. I also had a dent in the
    driver's door turn into a compete respray involving removing all trim.

    I have not learned from my past bouts of shipfitters' disease. The only
    vehicles I have not gotten shipfitters' disease yet are my Range Rover and
    Series 3 109. Well, my 109 needs engine work and I have told myself (and
    this list) time and time again that all I want to do is get it back to
    factory spec. That being said, I am already looking into repowering the
    vehicle. I guess you can say that I have learned from my past experiences.
    I have now set my budget at, and fully expect, a complete rebuild. This is
    progress isn't it?

    You know you have a terminal case of shipfitters' disease when you have two
    vehicles in the middle of rebuilds due to shipfitters' and are willing to
    start another project that you know full well will result in another bout
    of shipfitters. I have told myself that I can order parts for the new
    project, but can't start work on it until the Alfa is back on the road.
    We'll see if I hold myself to this rule.

    My wife hasn't threatened to divorce me yet. I think this is due to two
    things: I NEVER get shipfitters' disease with her car, and I can still
    convince her that it is cheaper to have multiple older vehicles than one
    new vehicle with a car payment and higher insurance.

    I won't even get into the subject of the 1960's cabin cruiser and old
    farmhouse I am restoring.

    Brad H.