[lro] Howling noise when driving

From: Toni (toni@macpower.fi)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 13:35:19 EST

    Hi,

    I've been preparing my SIIA for daily use. It is slow as there is winter
    outside and way below freezing. Think snow, arctic explorer -clothing and
    doing electric repairs outside - no fun at all ;)

    Well I got the electrics fixed (new fuse box, new ignition lock, new light
    switch, some new wiring), installed Pertronix Ignitor and coil, adjusted
    timing, installed new battery, new wipers etc.

    Yesterday I was ready to test drive. Everything else worked fine but there is
    couple of problems. My clutch is sometimes noisy. Not when I am driving but
    sometimes when I press the pedal while not moving there is a harsh sound which
    goes away when I lift the pedal. Hope it lasts until next summer. The more
    accute problem is the loud howling noise I hear when travelling about 28-43
    mph. Nothing below or over. Though I am not sure if the sound is speed or revs
    dependent.

    It feels like the sound comes from rear but I am not sure. It sounds like a
    worn wheel bearing but as it can be heard when driving in a straight line and
    it disappears when speed changes I don't think it is a wheel bearing. I
    haven't checked the gearbox or rear end oils yet.

    So, what do you suggest? Dry rear end?

    Regards,

    Toni
    Finland