Re: [lro] Howling noise when driving

From: bfishel@cisnet.com
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 22:05:28 EST

    Toni
    You can get about 100 miles on a completly dry rear diff. Testing this idea
    requires a replacement diff so just take my word for it. Unless you like
    changing diffs and cleaning all the broken bits out.

    I had a howling noise like you describe. It was the rear diff ring and
    pinion. The noise went away after rebuilding the diff with an ARB carrier.
    Same R&P but they were adjusted to specs. If the ring and pinion are not
    meshing in the proper location it can cause a really loud howling.

    Bill Fishel