[lro] Uneven pad wear

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 23:07:41 EST

    Hi gang, this is in regards to rangie stuff but I would much rather consult
    this gang than the CD player list.

    Today while driving Valdez, the rear brakes started grinding loudly. I
    stopped to inspect and one of the pads in the rear had been worn right to
    the metal backing plate, and scored the rotor pretty badly. Valdez has 1990
    Rangie axles which originally had ABS.

    So, after some sourcing I had a set of pads, and started installing them. I
    noticed that the outboard pads on both sides were in excellent shape (50%
    left) while the inner pads were cooked.

    Now, I would usually assume that this is the result of a sticking caliper,
    which may very well be the case, but I am wondering if there is a
    possibility that there might be something in that caliper that is not
    functioning correctly due to the ABS nature of the system. Perhaps a problem
    arising due to an air pocket that might not allow the same force to be
    applied to the pads. This goes against every shred of hydraulics theory that
    has been thrown at me, but I figure I should ask before I go on ignoring the
    problem and having to replace an expensive set of pads overly quickly. The
    multiple bleeders on the front seem to indicate a complex bleeding sequence
    which I have never followed, however the brake system is plumbed like a
    series, as opposed to a rangie setup.

    I'm not at all interested in remedying the problem if it is indeed a stuck
    caliper as I'll probably be replacing the rear axle with a 110 salisbury
    rear soon enough, as the 10 spline rear is just not up to the task.

    thanks

    J-L