Re: [lro] wiper arms

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 12:55:14 EST

    Hey, what about the circular boat wipers. Haven't
    seen one up close but think the motor is in the center
    supported by a circular frame that must be epoxied to
    the glass. Usually seen on CG lifeboats and helmsman
    ports on ocean going ships. Exterior wiper powered
    through a hole in the glass the motor shaft passes
    through. Wiper can spin up to hundreds of rpm. The
    ultimate wiper set up, keeps your windshield clear in
    a hurricane and 60' waves, probably even underwater.

    Hoah there!! Let shipwiper's disease take over, back
    to reality.

    Ordered new arms from BP. After two iterations where
    they kept sending late 2a/3 arms and blades which are
    an inch too long, they finally sent an adjustable arm
    like the one previously described. Came with adapter
    for the wiper motor. Had to drill the adapter out to
    fit it over the motor shaft, a minor PITA. Amazing
    how well the new blades work. Took the opportunity to
    center the wiper sweep on the windshield while I was
    at it. Now I can see out when it rains. The old
    blades so bad, I could actually see better without
    them. Maybe should have just saved the money and
    RainX'd the glass.

    Aloha
    Peter O.