Re: [lro] S3 gearlever to S2A?

From: Mark Pilkington (mark@skywagons.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 12:14:17 EST

    I have a SIII Stick in my SIIa. It has one bend in it and the SIIa sticks have
    two, but you can bend the SIII Stick just like it about 8 inches down from the
    top. The SIII sticks have no threaded top for the knob, so you have to get it
    machined to accept a SIIa knob. Or do what I did because I broke the old knob
    getting it off the old stick, I had a new one made at a machine shop out of an
    aluminium block just like the old one. It is held on by two small allen "grub
    screws" It works great. The hassle about ghanging a gearstick is that you have to
    pull up the floor and take the housing off the gearbox and take it apart. There is
    a circlip and a spring in there that might get away from you, but apart from that
    it is pretty straight forward. Make sure that you put a new rubber "O" ring on the
    very bottom of the stick on the small ball. Put a lot of grease on everything
    down there and put new reverse springs on the little clip too. Grease the ball
    and put it all back on. It is amazing how much better the shift feels once you
    have done all this. If you already have the parts, it should only take a day to
    do.
    Kind regards,
    Mark Pilkington