Re: [lro] Welding Galvanized Metal Safely

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 11:36:25 EST

    > I'm leery of breathing zinc fumes doing this. I know you're not
    > supposed to heat the stuff till it boils, but I'd rather use a zinc
    > rich paint. Some of the non-aerosol ones are as much as 90% zinc by
    > weight, do a very good job of coating, and don't involve molten toxic
    > substances.
    >

    > David "number 27 on to do list: Avoid molten toxic substances" Scheidt

    ZRC is a zinc based brush/roll/broom on paint that is almost completely
    zinc. A friend of mine who had a summer job as a welder on big breakwaters
    on the St Lawrence River said that the gallon tins were almost 25 pounds!
    The stuff is supposedly very good.

    If I ever have to re galv the chassis after modifications I'll be using a
    paintbrush. Shaking uncontrollably for 24 hours is something I regard as
    bad.

    J-L