[lro] Welding Galvanized Metal Safely

From: A. P. \ (apg4@mail.pinn.net)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 16:18:04 EST

    chris stevens <chrisste@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Anybody aware of the safety recommendations for MIG welding galvanized
    >metals safely? I'm plann to finish up the replacement footwells in a
    >Series III over the weekend and don't want to inhale any bad stuff!

    Ummm, other than don't do it?

    When I installed a galvanized rear crossmember, I spent fully half my time
    grinding off the galvanizing within 1" or so of where I would be running
    any bead. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of galvanizing....

    You do not want to inhale zinc fumes. Even working outside, I still placed
    a fan nearby to blow the smoke away. Of course, too much breeze blows the
    shield gas away, too. Still got a mild case of 'zinc shakes' or metal fume
    fever. Flu-like, spacey-feeling (and I don't mean Kevin...) like walking a
    foot off the ground, a feeling that I would have paid money for three
    decades ago....
    ;-)

    I watched the area around the arc closely and only a few times did the zinc
    melt and run down into the arc. Usually, it would spatter like hell....

    Cheers

      *----jeep may be famous, LAND-ROVER is legendary-----*
      | |
      | A. P. "Sandy" Grice |
      | Rover Owners' Association of Virginia, Ltd. |
      | 1633 Melrose Parkway, Norfolk, VA 23508-1730 |
      | (757)423-4898 (757)622-7054 FAX (757)622-7056 |
      | |
      *----1972 Series III 88"----1996 Discovery SE-7(m)---*