Re: [lro] wipers (was weatherstripping alternatives)

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 07:17:01 EST

    --- "William J. Rice" <jarvis64@juno.com> wrote:

    > What's all this talk about where wipers "park?" Mine
    > pretty much stay
    > wherever they were when I shut them off (or, more likely,
    > quit moving
    > them with my hand). Is there a parking position? Is
    > that what that
    > divot in the switch is for? Seems unnecessary . . .

    Yup - the drill is that you pull put on the lever and swing
    it to the side, dropping the point on the lever into the
    divot on the switch.

    @When you want to use them, you park the blade dead center,
    switch on the motor, then the motor will spin up, engage
    the blade and everyone goes off merrily on their way.

    A lot of the problem with the single-motor wipers is the
    grease going bad in them and needing to be cleaned and
    relubed. When this happens, it puts a lot of strain on the
    clutch as assembled inside the wiper (the shaft engaging
    the hollow tube driveshaft from the gear). The shaft
    engagement wears, so a lot of the arc gets slopped up
    there.

    An easy fix is to strip the motor, clean and relube it,
    then turn the shaft engagement piece around on the shaft by
    driving out the pin, sliding it off and back on again the
    opposite way, then re-pinning it. This way, the worn side
    of it engages the handle (and keeping the nut tight will
    deal with that) and the good side goes to the gear shaft.

    Gotta love these Lucas motors - a new set of brushes and
    some grease and even the most abused of them takes right
    off running like new.

                 ajr

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://webhosting.yahoo.com