[lro] Loss of Power

From: Christian Kiel (christian.kiel@gmx.net)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 03:47:53 EST

    Hi folks,
    last night I had one of the famous "Loss of Power" encounter. Driving home
    from work, without any warning, my Series3 2,25 Petrol, started coughing
    black smoke. Switching tanks, working the choke, kicking the accelerator,
    nothing worked and the engine died. I tried my best, but it would not start.
    Fuelpump and filter were clean, also no visilble obstruction inside the
    carb, a Weber. After waiting 15min for a friend, it was 10:45pm, I tried to
    start the beast again. Working the choke and the accelerator, she was slowly
    starting to fire up with enough power to start rolling with transfer gear in
    low. And surprise, the power was increasing. After about 3 minutes, she was
    running normal again. Now, I don't want to qoute the fairytale, a land rover
    will bring you home, anyhow. (By the way, she did, the worst experience was
    a faulty ignition wire 75m away from the homeplate when I had to tow her the
    last 75m in.) I just want to know, what was happening. Best guess is a stuck
    float assembly. I don't want to open the Weber, because she is running now
    nicely again. (Never touch a running system.)

    MfG Christian ;-}

    The more durable your LR is, the further away
    from civilization you'll be when it fails.