[lro] preparation for a trip

From: A. P. (Sandy) Grice (apg4@pinn.net)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 10:05:00 EST

    "C. Marin Faure" <faurecm@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Back in the Jurassic 1970s, I remember Atlantic British (not the same
    >Atlantic British of today) carrying a replacement front bumper for the
    >Series that carried something like five or six gallons of oil in it. Maybe
    >even more- it's been awhile. The main crossmember was built in such a way
    >that it was a sealed box section.

    This was the "Demolition Bumper" designed and built by Doug Richardson of
    southern California. Doug also 'invented' the spin-on oil filter adapter;
    I bought one from him circa 1976. All others are copies of his original,
    one of which is a mirror-image with the intake and outlet ports reversed.
    Caveat emptor.

    The demolition bumper had fill and drain ports, plus a breather that would
    allow for thermal expansion of the product. A sealed passage permitted use
    of the hand crank. I haven't heard of or from Doug in two decades....

    Cheers