Re: [lro] Inlet manifold tweaking

From: Ian Stuart (Ian.Stuart@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 08:58:31 EST

    On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 10:20, John M. Baker wrote:
    > Ian Stuart mentioned carb/manifold tweaking as one option to improved
    > performance, among many. Ian, are you talking about polishing and making sure
    > the manifold matches the ports? If you can provide more info on what might be
    > done I would appreciate it.
    There are various options here.
    1) A carb with a better flow-rate (eg an SU)
    2) Inlet manifolds that have better flow charicteristics
    3) Getting rid an all sharp edges between the carb and the inlet valve
       (which would include your comment about the ports and manifold holes
       matching in terms of size and position. :)

    Note: when one talks of "polishing" the inlet ports, I was told that
    "mirror-smooth" is not what is wanted. The ideal is a very slightly
    rough surface so that the fuel-air mixture continues to swirl'n'mix, yet
    does not eddy behind any sharp edges.

    There are numerous books on engine performance, so find one that
    concentrates on the head :)

    BTW: The inlet manifold that Authmotive makes covers #1 & #2, #3 simply
    requires several hours of patient work.
    (I don't have any of their kit, though I do know Roland, the head lad
    there :)

    --
    --==++
    Ian Stuart: Edinburgh University Data Library.

    Information is not knowledge Knowledge is not wisdom Wisdom is not truth Truth is not beauty Beauty is not love Love is not music -- Mary.