[lro] Fortuitous and not so fortuitous breakdowns

From: John M. Baker (jmbaker@bkk2.loxinfo.co.th)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 05:48:54 EST

    Writing my previous note got me to thinking about breakdowns. Sometimes even a
    breakdown can result in everything going your way, other times you fare less
    well.

    Some examples of fortuitous breakdowns:

    Years ago I was driving my trusty AMC Hornet (no laughs please) on a freeway
    in a heavy rain when it started sputtering and died. That occured just short
    of an exit ramp. I rolled down the ramp, and as luck would have it the
    stoplight at the end of the ramp was green. I rolled through the light and
    into the parking lot of a billiard supply store. I borrowed a screw driver
    from the owner to dry the distributor, and was on my way in minutes.

    Second event was even earlier. I was riding a Triumph 650 when it started
    indicating it was running low on gas. This was way out in the country in the
    middle of nowhere. I looked up and there was a gas station. I rolled up the
    exit ramp as the bike sputtered to a stop. But the gas station was downhill,
    so I rolled right up to the pump.

    Now to the somewhat unfortuitous:

    I was very near a national park in the evening looking at a bat cave. This was
    just after I had put the Rover back together. The headlights at that time were
    not very good, and on the way back we fell into a tremendously deep rut with a
    bang that set my wife and child crying. We were stuck on the frame. Stupidly I
    had not installed the front driveshaft at that point, so no amount of digging
    or back and forth would dislodge it. The road was a very isolated dirt track
    and it was pitch dark. I fully anticipated staying the night there, and was
    starting to think about tigers and such like. Mosquitos were out too. After
    about an hour a pickup truck appeared, and eventually someone found a tractor
    to pull us out. It was very embarrassing explaining why a 4 WD vehicle
    couldn't get out of the ditch.

    John
    Bangkok
    1975 SIII 109 2.25 Petrol