[lro] Preparation for a trip...

From: John M. Baker (jmbaker@bkk2.loxinfo.co.th)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 05:39:33 EST

    When I bought my Rover it was a rolling wreck. I had to drive it across town
    (Bangkok is a big town) with almost no clutch or brake. I had to pump on each
    about 6 times to get anything. I wasn't as much of a danger to others as you
    might think since it was bumper to bumper much of the way. Left knee was a bit
    wobbly for a while.

    I now carry a pretty complete spares and tools assortment. I installed bucket
    seats on the seat box, and had a stainless box fabricated to fit between the
    seats. That holds a manual, and a small plastic tub with basics, fuses, bulbs,
    screwdrivers, visegrips, pliers, etc.

    Since the bucket seat slide forward enough I can utilize the space under the
    seat box on the left hand side to store an ammo box of tools, plus rags and
    fluids including grease.

    Between the front and back seats I have a long stainless steel box fitted to
    the floor (removable by acorn nuts) that runs the length door to door and is
    about -5 inches high. I covered it in floor material and the rear seat
    passengers rest their feet on it. That contains larger tools, socket set, lug
    wrench, gasket material, hose, wiring, gaskets, tow straps, hold-down straps,
    etc. & etc.

    Under the rear seats I have a hi-life jack, fire extinguisher, and plastic gas
    can filled with water attached to the floor with rubber straps.

    In the rear, over one of the wheel wells is a compartment whereI keep an ammo
    box filled with spares, including plugs, points, light lens, bearings, seals,
    u-joints, etc. Also in the compartment is a hydraulic jack, folding shovel,
    water pump, fuel pump and a spare set of belts and hoses.

    In the engine compartment I keep a set of jumper cables behind one wheel
    well.

    Like Teri-Ann, I have never had a breakdown that stranded me. I came close a
    couple times (electrical). One time I had the luck to lose a coil next to a
    parts store, so I was on the road again in 15 minutes.

    There must be a rule that stating that the more parts you carrry the more
    likely you are to have a breakdown requiring a part you don't carry, or
    something to that effect.

    John
    Bangkok
    1975 SIII 109 SIII Petrol