[lro] Suspension Twists and Turns

From: Nigel Aldred (gon2farsuspensiondesign@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 14:15:14 EST

    Hello folks

    I get this list as a daily email and mainly read it without really
    participating so you will have to excuse me picking up on an old discussion.
    Also I have one or more weeks a month away from computers and discussions
    that interest my one track mind always seem to be perfectly timed to fall
    into my comunication black spot.

    There has been some discussion about fitting rear springs to the front of
    leaf sprung Rovers and I thought I would stick my thoughts into the mix.

    I have developed and built two designs for the front suspension both of
    which have achieved good results while retaining the standard length LR
    front springs (using TI Console parabolics)

    Firstly the SWB that I own which is fitted with Revolvers on all four
    corners generates 13" of travel at the front axle (the same as rear
    parabolic springs generate if they are well set up). This is a completly
    bolt on mod and compared to the 6 or 7" of travel you can expect from front
    parabolics quite an improvment.

    Secondly what is becoming Known as the GON2FAR front end setup as found on
    my 109 consisting of pivoting front mounts and adjusted shackle geometry has
    been measured at a consistant 22" of front end travel with standard length
    parabolic springs. Its lockable for use on the road and dosnt involve any
    wyrd hinging shackle type stuff, just plain optimising whats there.

    Oh yes and these two vehicles are both SUA.

    Does any one who has done the longer front spring mod have notes of how much
    travel they are getting from the mod. I am curious because I intend to
    experiment with the long springs mounted SOA as the next project truck for
    GON2FAR. My thoughts so far are revolving (no pun intended) arround the fact
    that if I can extract 22" of controlled travel from standard length front
    springs why mess up the aproach angle by extending the springs forwards?

    I was interested to see that someone is intending to take what must be
    Bill's last full set of Revolvers off him as I am working, with Bill's help
    to get another production run of front Revolvers organised at the moment if
    anyone is interested.

    While I have been away from the world of computers one of the things I have
    been getting up to was the building (in two days) of a flexy Rover for a
    bloke called Drew Wright. We fitted a Revolver setup in the rear giving 20"
    of travel to the rear axle and the first stage of a custom GON2FAR kit to
    the front end getting 15" of travel from the front axle. The custom GON2FAR
    kit was required because of the Range Rover power steering set up that was
    already fitted to his truck which seemed purposely designed to get in the
    way of everything from shock mounts onwards in the build procces. Drew was
    happy with the 35" of total suspension travel gained but Development was cut
    short by me flying back out here to work. I am expecting to extract 40" of
    overall travel out of this truck when the final bits of development are done
    and dusted all with standard length springs.

    Hope this lot adds to the discussion and once more I appologise for being a
    bit out of step with the list.

    Details of my suspension work can be found on my website "www.gon2far.co.uk"
    the address of which has appeared on here before. You dont have to by
    anything but please give the website a mention if you use any of my ideas.

    Speaking of the website I am always looking for owners of extreme Leaf
    sprung Rovers that are interested in having their trucks featured on the
    site so if any of you are then please get in touch with me. Also if any one
    would like to write an article with a suspension bias I always have space
    for interesting material that adds to the knowledge available. Particularly
    in the UK where suspension development is often overlooked as an important
    part of building a capable vehicle.

    Nigel Aldred (GON2FAR)