Re: LRO: Series clutch problems

From: William J. Rice (jarvis64@juno.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 18:31:47 EDT

    Matt,
    Some brainstorming here--

    Did you replace the slave, or just fix some bits? It sounds to me like
    that's where your problem is--like for some reason (other than the clutch
    throwout linkage being seized, since you say it ain't) the piston within
    the slave is refusing to budge. Did you rebuild it and hone it while it
    was out? I'd pull that slave (I know, what a PITA) and take it apart on
    the bench.

    Another poss--maybe your new push rod is too short and you're bleeding
    the clutch system w/ the piston at the bottom of the slave, rather than
    at the top. That would sure leave you w/ an immobile clutch pedal and a
    non-functioning clutch. I doubt if this is it, though b/c you said it's
    about 3" which is about right. Just keep in mind that that 3" (I want
    to say it's actually 2 7/8") measurement should be from the bottom of the
    slave to the clevis, with the piston almost at the top of its stroke. If
    the piston's at the bottom of its stroke when you make and measure the
    rod, all the 3" measurements in the world will only mean your rod's too
    short. I actually screwed this up on mine recently. Pull the boot and
    see where that piston's sitting when you get your measurement.

    Last poss--maybe something's gone awry within your bell housing that's
    allowing the linkage to flop around enough to let you think it ain't
    seized, but when serious pressure's applied things refuse to budge.
    Maybe that's why the last bits broke.

    See you in a few weeks (I do assume you're going to the rally).

    bill