RE: LRO: best way to clean crap out of engine

From: Easton Trevor A (trevor_easton@dofasco.ca)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 19:06:27 EDT

    Jim Hall wrote:
    > What is the best way to
    > clean the oil/antifreeze mung out of the engine?
    > --
    When Miss G ingested a large amount of water after falling in a hole, I
    cleaned up this way.

    1 drain engine.

    2 fill with 50/50 Kerosene/cheap oil

    3 Run under light load and blank radiator to ensure the whole mess gets good
    and hot. (I left the filler and breather caps off to watch the steam)

    4 Drain again then refill with 25/75 ATF/Cheap oil

    5 Run again until good and hot

    6 Drain and refill with regular oil.

    Off course the filter should be changed after all the flushing too.

    Did you run for long with antifreeze in the oil? Glycol can strip the
    surface off bearings. This is why racers don't put antifreeze in their
    engines.