Re: LRO: RE: Series driver height.

From: DaveB (rovergawd@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 15:20:20 EDT

    --- TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com> wrote:

    > OK, I'll bite. How and the heck do you get more leg space with the
    > top
    > of the seat back tilted 3 inches rearwards and the bottom of the seat
    >
    > back and the seat bottom in the exact same location????
    >
    > Your hips are in the same location on both an 88 and a 109.

    On most series rovers, 88 or 109, the position of the seat bottom
    cushion is dictated by fixed brackets attached to the seat box. since
    this style of seat has a fixed bottom attached to fixed bracket and
    since seat boxes are identical from 88 to 109, in those instances you
    would be corrrect.

    However: when a sliding seat is introduced, there is an opportunity to
    take advantage of the 109's 3 extra inches between the back of the
    seatbox and the front of the bulkhead. Now, bear with me a moment...

    there are two options that i know of when it comes to sliding seats
    that will fit in a series rover without drilling. One is the "deluxe"
    seats as found on US late IIa and SIII 88's. these use a pair of
    sliding tracks combined with a square frame for the cushion. the
    cushion/frame slide back and forth. This setup also apparently was
    offered on some early IIa's as an option. I think in those cases though
    you would find an elephant hide cushio as opposed tot he pleated deluxe
    black ones in US market late IIa's and III's.

    the other option is late series III county/90/110/defender seats. these
    are a totally differnet animal and are quiter comfy, incorporating a
    much more modern cushion design and a much greater range of adjustment.

    Now, the mechanics of it all. The early sliding mechanism, which i have
    only used on a series III 88" allowed the seat to go back until either
    the sliding frame came into contact with the vertical lip where the
    seatbox attaches to the rear bed, or the back of the seat back came
    into contact with the front of the bulkhead behind the seats. I don't
    remember what was hitting what but i know that i could slide the seat
    back a certain distance and that was it.
    A friend of mine had a kneee injury and had her 88 customized so that
    the bulkhead behind the seats is now in the same position it would be
    on a 109. At the same time, the vertical lip where the seatbox bolts to
    the front of the rear bed was folded down flat. but only behind the
    driver's seat, since this lip is what gives that area of the truck some
    of its rigidity. the result is that her 88" has a great deal more leg
    room than a standard 88".

    Now. with my defender seats in my 88, I noticed a great deal more
    comfort because of the more modern cushions and an increased sense of
    safety due to the high back and head rest. But there was definitely no
    increase, or no noticeable one anyway, in leg room. Long days of city
    driving would often result in a crmaped, sore knee.

    When i got my 109, i decided that I wanted to spend more time in it
    than in my 88, so i swapped the defender seats into it. I was able to
    slide the base back a good two to three inches further, since the back
    did not hit the bulkhead and the slider itself clears the vertical lip
    where the seatbox bolts to the front of the rear bed. The resulting
    increase in leg room, decrease in knee angle acuteness, and decrease in
    knee pain acuteness for me, as well as the increased ease of in-motion
    cigarette rolling has been very noticeable and real. The rear bed on my
    109 came from Jim Mead, an older gentleman that lived down the street
    from me. He has owned a '66 IIa 88 since new, as well as a string of
    other trucks, including the long since dead 109 tow truck that my bed
    came off of, and a few series ones which supposedly acquired for a six
    pack of beer when he was living in Newfoundland. I let Jim sit - he
    wouldn't drive it despite my prodding- in the front seat of my 109
    after I finished it, and although his speech is often somewhat halting
    and difficult to understand, the look on his face of befuddlement and
    amazement over the amount of leg room was unmistakeable. Al his life he
    had been having the same experience as TerriAnn.

    best
    dave