Re: LRO: RE: Series driver height.

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 14:48:13 EDT

    >--- TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com> wrote:
    >> bottom line is that your
    >> hips and feet are in the same relative locations in both 88s & 109s.
    >
    >I can slide the defender seats back over the lip at the back of the
    >seatbox, which said lip is the greatest hindrance to further back
    >sliding of the seats in a series land rover. this really does end up
    >creating a huge differenc in the leg position, not just shoulder
    >position.

    I know, that's why I was comparing 88s to 109s and not crossing the
    coiler line. The series sliding seat rail under the driver's seat is too
    low to push the cushion past the lip. A combination of the 109's added
    behind the seat space plus the coiler seats will indeed provide more leg
    space. Besides I really like the coiler deluxe seat's lumbar support.

    But if you stick to series seat mounts you have the same rear slide stop
    and same hip location in both 88s & 109s.

    The one problem with the Defender seats is that the higher seat rails
    translate into a higher cushion location and a higher head height in
    relation to the top of the windscreen. That is why the nineties and one
    tens have a taller windscreen than the series rigs. I have checked and
    it looks like the deluxe coiler seats will fit the series seat frames as
    long as differences in mounting are taken care of.

    I've toyed with the idea of cutting away the seatbox mating lips just
    behind the seats and mounting the series slider back a couple of inches.
    That would do the same thing without raising the seating height. One
    could add a couple extra top mounting bolts. Besides the seat box really
    sits on the side rails anyway. I once went a couple of years without any
    bolts in the seat box (call me lazy, but I had a very loud transfer case
    and thought it would break soon anyway. Darned thing never did break but
    I replaced it anyway just for relevant quiet.)

    TeriAnn Wakeman Marigold Ltd.
    Santa Cruz, California Web design, site updating, testing
    webmaster@overlander.net search engine optimization, graphics
                                  and more

    http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html