LRO: The LRO/RRO test

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 11:33:49 EDT

    >If you can't figure out how to get the bonnet open on your car and change a
    >set of sparkplugs (not said HAVEN't - said CAN'T) then the RRO list is a
    >great place.

    But you know we all need to start someplace. The first time I tried to
    replace a set of spark plugs I was so clumsy with socket wrenches that I
    ended up breaking the top off a plug when the socket slipped out. Then
    soon afterwards I was driving down the road and heard a big bang followed
    by rapid banging. Ends up I did not tighten a plug enough and it came
    loose and popped put of the hole while I was driving. I just kept trying
    and over time figured out how to successfully change a set of plugs.

    I learned on a simple car. It was intimidating enough before the days of
    SMOG equipment on a basic V8. I think if I were to get a newish car I
    too would be afraid of what I saw under the bonnet.

    I once borrowed my bosses wife's Sunbird when I had both cars down for a
    week. The starter motor went out. SO I grabbed my tools to pull it and
    run down to my local auto parts store for a replacement. You know it
    took me a long while to locate the starter motor among everything? And
    when I did all I could see was a little edge of the motor.

    Luckily the car was under extended warranty and the dealer fixed it for
    free. One needs to remove the fuel injection manifold & its assorted
    hangers on to get to the starter motor. I believe they said the book
    showed 4 hours for the operation. That included setting up the fuel
    injection again. SO much for the thought of removing two bolts, a couple
    of wires and pulling the motor.

    I'm not sure I can handle much of anything on something newer than a '74.
     I'm not about to blame someone with a new coiler that can not work in
    their engine bay.

    I'd be a lot more apt to do any hierarchal judging based upon off road
    driving skills and experience including, knowledge and adherence to tread
    lightly principles, recovery and safety knowledge. I always thought
    there should be merit badges for demonstrated off road skills.

    TeriAnn Wakeman If you send me direct mail, please
    Santa Cruz, California start the subject line with TW -
    twakeman@cruzers.com I will be sure to read the message

    http://www.shadow-catcher.net <- Photography for sale
    http://www.overlander.net <- Web directory for Land Rover
    http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman <- My personal web site

    "In the world of type A & type B drivers consider me a type C gypsy
    traveler. Destinations are optional and not necessarily desirable."