Re: LRO: Re: Frame bushings

From: Gbrovers@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 12:33:15 EDT

    In a message dated 6/8/01 2:43:50 PM, konacoffee2@hotmail.com writes:

    << I doubt that the rubber has a torque tube effect on the suspension. The
    resistance of the rubber to twisting just isn't enough to really affect the
    motion of the shackles. Believe the rubber is bonded to the outer sleeve
    just to keep the inner sleeve centered in the bushing. The inner bush is
    slightly wider than the frame so the shackles don't rub up against the frame
    when they flex. With the rubber bonded to the outer sleeve, the inner bush
    is held in the middle. A bushing with the rubber completely gone can allow
    the spring to mover enough to cause problems, like the tire tearing up an
    inner fender, BTDT. Of course that explanation doesn't cover the
    Polyurethane bushings, which I understand don't have an outer sleeve.

    Aloha
    Peter O >>

    Peter
        I was going thru some old emails and noticed your note. A standard
    bushing can in fact have a torque tube effect on a suspension as evidenced by
    Land Rovers suggestion on installation about not tightening up the spring and
    shackle bolts until you have jumped up and down on the bumper a few times or
    driven the rig around the block to settle the suspension. This is because the
    rubber part of a stock bushing will not stretch enough to compensate for any
    binding. This also effects the ride quality because the more the suspension
    has to move, the more the bushings bind. This is also why flexible
    suspensions, such as parabolic springs, go thru stock bushings at a much
    faster rate. This is also why I supply all of the parabolic suspensions we
    sell with poly bushings. Poly bushings are unbound bushings so you don't need
    to settle them on installation, they last longer in extreme conditions and
    give a better ride quality.

    Bill
    GBR