Re: LRO: Dodge front ends/SUV Poseur test

From: Ian Stuart (Ian.Stuart@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 04:16:05 EDT

    <humour>

    On Wednesday 04 July 2001 16:17, you wrote:
    > 1. Do you tow more than 3 times per year?
    No - my rear recovery point can't take a trailer

    > 2. Is your cargo area stained from hauling dirt, rocks, landscaping
    > items, race car support items, etc?
    No - with the fuel-tank, roll-cage & spare wheel in the back of an 80",
    there's no room for stuff like this

    > 3. Are your tire's load ratings D or E?
    Yup

    > 4. Have you ever removed the 3rd seat (if applicable) for extra
    > storage?
    No - it was never present (since I aquired the basket-case)
    [OK - it's really a yes]

    > 5. You've never slid off the road in the winter (except when avoiding
    > a collision with an out of control vehicle)?
    No - I've always slowed down in bad conditions, and avoided bad
    situation like this

    > 6. You're never passed by a passenger car in snowy conditions?
    Yes, I'm often passed by passenger cars in snowy conditions - I'm no
    fool, and they're more likely to wreck their own car.
    Answering no to this one results in a yes to #5 :)

    > 7. You have more than 3 others, including larger dogs, to accomodate?
    No. Me an one navigator

    > 8. The underside, and/or skid plate(s), of your SUV has scrapes?
    Yes

    > 9. Have you ever used your roof rack?
    No - the roll-cage will do instead

    > 10. Have you legitimetely had occassion to use the "low" transfer
    > case gears? (double 'no' if you don't have this option)
    Yes

    > 11. Your tires are either M/S, A/T, or "off-road-only" rated?
    Yes

    > Tally up all the times you responded with "no". Score as follows:
    6 'no's

    > 8+ Poseur! You have no reason to own an SUV. You're wasting fuel,
    > blocking the roads, and are a detriment to society. Party
    > officials will soon be at your door to confiscate said vehicle. (my
    > neighborhoor's garages will soon have extra space! ;) )
    >
    > 4-7 Borderline. The higher end of this range should consider
    > borrowing a poseur friends SUV if said friend is not completely
    > anal about their vehicle.
    That's me then...

    > 1-3 "Justified SUV Owner" i.d. card is in the mail
    >
    > 0 My hero!

    Me thinks that the questions are a tad squewed..

    My versions:

    1) Do you have used tow-point or recovery at the rear?

    2) Can the rear point *only* be used for recovery?

    3) Does your vehicle carry either off-road equipment or self-repair
    tools

    4) Do you have a CB or Motorsports radio fitted?

    5) Have you every recovered a passenger vehicle which has inadvertently
    left the road?

    6) Do you have additional (non-standard) under-body/sill protection
    fitted

    7) Do you have roll-over protection (eg a roll-cage)

    8) Do you have tyres with an primarily off-road bias

    9) Have you used low box legitimetely. Double points if you use it on a
    weekly basis

    10) Do you compete with your vehicle

    11) Do you compete with you vehicle, do well, and have avoided
    modifications such as diff-lockers, rarely used winches, etc.

    Score 1 for each yes:

    10+ : True off-roader

    6-9 : You're either single, or have a second car - and enjoy your
    off-roading

    3-5 : What you want is a soft-roader.

    2 or less : Poseur! Go and get a metallic paint-job, underbody
    lighting, 800-watt sound system - and head for "Da 'Hood", wide boy!

    --
    Ian Stuart - EDINA, DataLibrary, University computing services.