Re: LRO: RE: Jeep Liberty was Stock off-road (was Dodge front ends)

From: Zaxcoinc@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 01:05:23 EDT

    konacoffee2@hotmail.com writes:

    > Yes Jeep did, sort of, try the Rubicon with the new IFS Liberty. They used
    > stock AT tires and had to be winched over most of the obstacles. Don't
    > think the truck made it anywhere near all the way through the trail and
    > suffered considerable customization by the country side.

    When I bought my 88" a few years ago, it was in response to an ad, and the
    vehicle was located in Georgetown, CA.
    I cruised up with my wife on a weekday. We met with the Rovers' owner Mark
    Smith. You may have heard of him, he founded J**p Jamboree, and participated
    in the 1979 Expedition of the Americas, and was a leader in the Madagascar
    Camel Trophy. He also is part owner of the Rubicon trail. Perhaps that's
    better stated as an owner of part of the Rubicon Trail.

    He was selling the Rover after quite a few years ownership, where the only
    driver was his grandkids, around the back of his property. Due to his long
    affiliation with J**p, it was unthinkable for him to get caught or
    photographed driving the 88" on the road. He had purchased it from a buddy in
    reminiscence of his prior experiences.

    We sat and talked quite a long time about the Rover, and a little bit about
    his Grand Cherokee. He was quite pleased with the sliders he'd had made for
    the GC, and they were basically indistinguishable from the stock sills. The
    vehicle had been over the Rubicon at least 4 times, and was unmarked. I'm
    pretty sure that my recollection of four is low, but I'd rather be
    conservative than state the dozen trips I'm thinking. I think he used all the
    bypasses, but then again,

    Pretty stock tires, and not lifted, kind of says it all.

    Zack