Re: LRO: Heritage misconceptions

From: Keith Tanner (keith@miata.net)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 17:39:56 EDT

    > the VW Bug
    >is a (Jetta or Golf, I can't remember which),

    No difference, actually.

    >the T-bird is,
    >I'm sure, based on a pre-existing production platform,

    The Lincoln, I think.

    >One thing that has so far surprised me. With all the interest in
    >retro styling, I wonder why none of the manufacturers have
    >introduced a retro pickup?

    There have been a few retro pickup show cars. It's only a matter of time.
    Right now, the "Judge Dredd" look seems to be in for trucks.

    To comment on an earlier comment about how you can't tell one year from
    another like you used to be able to do - I think that's because of the cost
    of retooling. These days, customers would prefer to have more power, a
    smoother transmission or more doodads. Safety is selling more - as is
    price. The fact that the taillights haven't changed this year isn't really
    a problem. Then again, I personally like the Land Rover philosophy of
    changing things that need changing and leaving the rest alone. My 1967 Land
    Rover can use the doors from a 1958 or from a 2001. How cool is that?

    Keith
    Keith's page de home:
        http://keith.miata.net