Re: LRO: New vs. old reliability (was long and kinda....)

From: Rich & Lori Williams (paddlers@nwlink.com)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 11:28:13 EDT

    And consider this, by the mere design of cars today they are designed to be
    "disposable". Like Marin and Bryan said, most people seem to fall for the
    manufacture's ploy that newer is better. So when that 36 month car loan is
    up, go in and start over. And who the heck is going to restore a 1999
    Subaru Outback? In 40 years it will likely have been in a scrap heap for a
    decade. The newer autos just aren't that durable, by design none the less.
    On the other hand, a '36 Cadillac, '57 Chevy, '67 Rover.........all are
    worthy of redos, but a Geo Metro - uh, not a chance.

    I don't know if it was on this list or somewhere else but I heard something
    not too long ago about a fee built into the purchase of a new car to cover
    the "disposal" of the car. When we go to the county transfer station we
    have to pay a fee based on the gross weight of what we dump, but often junk
    cars just get abandoned due to the cost of legitimate disposal.

    Rich
    '60 SII 109sw