Re: LRO: New vs. old reliability (was long and kinda....)

From: Bryan Hoult (bhoult@peoplepc.com)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 10:57:42 EDT

    On Mon, 02 July 2001, "C. Marin Faure" wrote:

    >I suspect if I added up all the
    >money I've spent on the SIII in 28 >years, adjusted it for inflation (or
    >maybe not even that) it would total >more than what we've spent on the
    >expensive, but few repairs to the >Range Rover.

    While agree in principal that the more complex systems and improved design of the newer vehicles represent a gain in reliability when the amount of time maintaining them is factored in, I don't believe you can discount the overall longevity built into the older designs by "overuse" of material. It goes for everything; cars, boats, airplanes, houses, toys, furniture.....

    The key difference in comparison is where the additional, or higher quality, material used lends to improvement in the intrinsic functionality of the item. As far as cars go (I think Marin pointed this out yesterday), most people seem to fall for the manufacture's ploy that newer is better. What, with all the extra time we have now since we're not trying to synch dual carbs, we can have long conversations on our cell phones while we drive. Obviously, my personal preference is to take time to smell the 90 wt.

    Bryan
    62 88
    70 109 "Genie"

    PeoplePC: It's for people. And it's just smart.
    http://www.peoplepc.com