Re: LRO: RE: New Guy or All about Joe

From: Stephen West-Fisher (steve@coastaldatasystems.com)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 10:57:35 EDT

    Keith Tanner wrote:

    > >Up
    > >in Ottawa last weekend there was a stock Disco on a trail with a very
    > >diverse group. He was dragging parts on the trail, moving all the rocks and
    > >tree limbs so he could make it through. Right behind him was a stock, faded
    > >red SIIa that made it look like he was on a run to get some milk. Ho hum,
    > >no big deal in my Series truck tra lala...
    >
    > Hi, I drive a stock, faded red SIIa :) That was me following the Disco...
    >
    > That was actually a pretty amusing sight watching the poor Disco trying to
    > deal with the trail. Granted, it was a dealer demo truck on street tires -
    > but it sure showed off what compromises had been made over the years
    > especially with regards to ground clearance. On the trail, it didn't seem
    > like 50 years of progress over the SIs in the group. On the trip home, I
    > expect he had a much easier time.

    Around here the coilers have a few advantages as well. In soft sand,
    they seem to be able to get through stuff with all thier limited slip
    stuff that is very diffucult if not impossable in a stock Series truck.
    So we sometimes have to take a different route through a sand pit to get
    to the same point.

    On the other hand, most of the breakdowns I've seen on the trail have
    been the coilers. Electrics get wet, relays start acting up, and the
    only broken axle I've seen was a Rangie with lockers. The coilers also
    seem to be the ones getting stuck :-)

    Steve