Re: LRO: Land Rover video

From: Jeff Berg (jeff@purpleshark.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 10:39:32 EDT

    >No No! Sorenson bad! Opensource good! I use Linux and there isnt a sorenson
    >decoder out there yet.

    Sorenson is not bad. It will produce a samller, cleaner looking and
    smoother running file. However, if you want to maximize your audience
    to include the Linux/Unix geeks, you should compromise quality for
    compatibility--Cinepac is usually the best of the alternatives. (I
    hope you're running a reasonably fast machine to do the compression.)

    Another key to getting good compression is to start with the best
    quality tapes you can and use a quality source deck for digital
    capture. The notion that the transfer to digital is "lossless" isn't
    really true. Since most compression schemes work using some sort of
    principle that looks for "deltas"--changes in pixels from
    frame-to-frame--that big 'ol white flash-o-dropout is going to
    increse your filesize significantly. The same goes for any noise in
    the signal. Noise does not like to be compressed. I'm sure there's
    only so much you can do with your source tapes in your home "studio"
    but you might want to consider this when making edit decisions
    regarding your final product. (i.e. "Gee, if I cut away from this
    shot two seconds earlier, I avoid that big chunk of noise...")

    As for format, I have certain bias towards Quicktime.

    And for the record, I defer to Bill Adams in all things technical in
    this market. I've been away from video for the past couple of
    years--though it looks like I'll be back to it shortly. Bill's been
    living and breathing it.

    jeff

    --
    ==