RE: LRO: New Guy or All about Joe

From: Perrone Ford (ford_p@nettally.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 22:14:33 EDT

        I wouldn't DREAM of walking onto this list and telling you guys about
    your series trucks, but I don't have ANY hesitation in telling you that as a
    whole, it seems you guys are GROSSLY misinformed about what is available for
    coil sprung trucks, and you really don't seem to have any idea of what they
    can do when the playing field is made even. By that, I mean putting the
    same size tires on with similar tread.

        If you haven't driven a Range Rover or a Disco that had decent tires on
    it, you can't possibly understand how competent they are. The increase in
    torque over the 2.25l allows them to idle over things that series truck
    fight over. As I said earlier both trucks have their place and their
    advantages. But please don't spread the misinformation that there are few
    options in suspension for coilers. Shock mounts are widely available at
    reasonable prices and long travel shocks are available from numerous
    vendors. Visit www.d-90.com for a TON of ideas on what is available, and
    how they are used.

        As an example, I am running a 3" spring lift using RoverTym Springs
    (best in the business), I am currently riding on OME MD shocks but will be
    changing to Bilstein long travel shocks (I could have chosen OME, Bilstein,
    Rancho, Fox, DeCarbon, Koni, or King). Axles and propshafts can be made
    damn near bulletproof. Give a call to Great Basin Rovers. They can take
    you from mild to wild for the entire drivetrain.

        I've wheeled with stock series trucks, and built series trucks. There IS
    a difference, but it is truly amazing what they can do stock...

    -Perrone

     There aren't many options for range rover coilsprung chassis bits. Old
    Man Emu and a couple others make taller springs, but taller shock mounts
    and longer travel shocks are not off the shelf items and there are
    serious driveline issues involved in these modifications. The only

      I'f I do coils i'll go custom

        advantage is the disc brakes and stronger diffs on the axles, so maybe
        you would want to rework the axle case to take a leaf spring.

      hmm wonder if scout axles would fit....

        As to gearing, there are available low-low transfer cases that give rock
        crawling ratios for the Series transmissions.

      can you give me any names?

        All in all, it isn't really necessary to build up a wild and extreme
        Series truck. They get by just fine as they are thank you very much.