Re: LRO: New Guy or All about Joe

From: Joseph S Dufresne (Josad@networld.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 17:49:34 EDT

    At 10:27 AM 6/28/2001 -0400, you wrote:
    >Welcome, Joe.
    >The best thing about the Rover is it's already set up for trail use.

    so i've noticed. real spartan.

    >Admittedly, there are a few things one can do to improve performance,
    >but by and large you really don't need to do much.

    sure i do. when's the last time you met an engineer whe din't need to
    change some thing?

    >Judging by your post it seems that you have a sensible approach to
    >off-roading vehicles. My advice to you would be to look for a good
    >condition 109 pickup or soft top, install parabolic springs and assess
    >the capabilities for a year or so before doing any major surgery. You
    >may just be surprised at what it'll do.

    was planning on that anyhow

    >There aren't many options for range rover coilsprung chassis bits. Old
    >Man Emu and a couple others make taller springs, but taller shock mounts
    >and longer travel shocks are not off the shelf items and there are
    >serious driveline issues involved in these modifications. The only

    I'f I do coils i'll go custom

    >advantage is the disc brakes and stronger diffs on the axles, so maybe
    >you would want to rework the axle case to take a leaf spring.

    hmm wonder if scout axles would fit....

    >As to gearing, there are available low-low transfer cases that give rock
    >crawling ratios for the Series transmissions.

    can you give me any names?

    >All in all, it isn't really necessary to build up a wild and extreme
    >Series truck. They get by just fine as they are thank you very much.

    well, except the little "training" wheels.

    >--
    >Bill Adams
    >Motion Graphics/3D Design Director
    >IBB Broadcast Design Center, Washington DC
    >badams@ibb.gov
    >202-205-9638
    >
    >1966 Land Rover 2A 109SW Diesel
    >1981 Honda GoldWing Standard
    >1963 Pearson Vanguard
    >"Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching"

    Joe Dufresne, josad@networld.com; ICQ# 25751950;
    http://tigger.tmcom.com/~josad/
    78 SSII; Smoking Scouts, Rocky Mtn chapter Recruitment officer for Smoking
    Scouts.

    "It's a farm implement thing, you wouldn't understand"