Re: LRO: New Guy or All about Joe

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 18:22:00 EDT

    > >advantage is the disc brakes and stronger diffs on the axles, so maybe
    > >you would want to rework the axle case to take a leaf spring.
    >
    > hmm wonder if scout axles would fit....

    If you swap out the transfer case, yes. The Scout axles are about 2" wider,
    so you would either get a different offset on the rims, or use fender
    flares.
    I sold my old Dana 44's to a guy who was putting them on a Rover.
    If you run a Nissan diesel from an 80 scout along with the tranny and Dana
    300 you would have a pretty good set up. I had this in my Traveller which
    is way heavier then a 109. Plus you can pick up late model scouts that have
    accident/rust damage but good drive drains for next to nothing. I found a
    75 II and a 79 Traveller in South East VA for $500 each.
    Other option if you are not familier with it yet is the Rover Salisbury
    axle, this is just a shortened Dana 60. The were on the rears of late 109's
    and on the front and rear of some Defenders. The wreckers in the UK are
    always listing them for sale. If you go with the 110 front and rear you get
    a Dana 60 set up for coils, has discs and you can run any ring and pinion
    you want.

    Pete