Re: LRO: New Guy or All about Joe

From: Perrone Ford (ford_p@nettally.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 15:57:49 EDT

    Bill,

       I don't know you, but you are WAY off base on your assumptions about people making suspension parts, and I think you are also wrong about what coilers can and cannot do.  I have deep respect for Series Land Rovers and what they can accomplish, but your arguments just don't hold water.  There are at least 5 suspension component makers in the UK, add Safari Gard, OME, Rangie Spares, RoverTym, Rockware, and Never Summer Offroad.  And these are FAR from one-offs.  I would argue that SafariGard is the only one who is attempting to make a killing at selling parts and they are quickly losing market share to those making better parts more cheaply.

       I agree that the trucks are set up from the factory quite well, but as with any vehicle, they are a product for the masses.  Certain modifications can increase their capability in many areas.  I'd suggest you take a good accounting of the Land Rover market before you condemn people's products, including prices, warranty, and availability of goods.  You might be surprised.

       I agree that Joe should learn the joys of series ownership before completely redoing his truck because he may find that it meets his needs.  But if it doesn't there are certainly other options out there for him.  Parabolics and lockers will get him most places you are very right about that. But there is no doubt that coils do offer a level of comfort on longer trips that the leafs simply can't.

       As for your 109 diesel in the mud, you are likely correct since you have a good deal more torque available to you at a much lower RPM.  That is your element.  However, change the venue to the rocks, or to most other technical venues, and the 90 will be pulling you early and often.  And then leave you for dead when the asphalt picks back up.    Series trucks have their place, as do the other models of Land Rover.  All are capable, all have faults.

    -Perrone Ford

    1991 RR

    Bill Adams wrote:

    I repeat, there aren't many companies making suspension improvement
    parts for Range Rovers and Defenders. OME and Safari Guard are about it.
    Anything else is a one-off, that is, a couple guys do some mods to ONE
    truck and call themselves a company that supplies suspension mods. The
    demand for suspension modification is very limited, and trying to make a
    go of supplying parts is very difficult. All of them assume that you are
    made of money because you own a Defender or Rangie and charge for their
    sevices accordingly. These trucks come from the factory set up very well
    for 98 percent of the buying public, so margin has to be quite fat in
    order to turn a profit on parts they sell. Imagine the amount of time
    these people have to spend on the phone with customers addressing
    various installation, warranty and repair issues. I should think that
    even with the prices they cha! rge, they don't really make all tha