Re: LRO: RE: Best solo brake bleeder yet

From: Perrone Ford (ford_p@nettally.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 16:00:29 EDT

    What year is your 109?  My friend with a 67 said his brake cap was the same as that on a Defender.. which the Motive Products bleeder fits just fine..

    -P

    Peter Ogilvie wrote:

    The motive products brake bleeder does work well but only come with a cap  for an apparently 'industry standard' thread that wasn't heard of when the  Series Rovers were made.  I called them up about an adapter when I got the  bleeder last fall.  They said they were working on a solution but not to  hold my breath.  They may have an official adapter by now, you'll have to  ask them, though.

    I made it work by taking a short, 9" or so, section of 2"-2.25"x26" bicycle  inner tube, folded it back to make a cuff on both ends, and clamped it over  the pressure bleeder cap and the brake reservoir cap with hose clamps.  I  had to use 15-20 psi to get the 109 to bleed properly so the inner tube  section tended to balloon out.  Cured this by wrapping the inner tube with  clear packing tape.  A bit cumbersome but worked fine at containing the  expansion of the tube.  You can top up the brake reservoir by putting brake  fluid in the pressure bleeder, by the way, so don't need to remove the tube  to fill the reservoir while bleeding.

    This pressure bleeder was the only way I could get my 109 brakes to bleed  out to a no pump, rock hard hard pedal.  An almost unheard of condition for  a 109.