Re: LRO: New Guy or All about Joe

From: Bill Adams (badams@IBB.GOV)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 15:23:23 EDT

    I repeat, there aren't many companies making suspension improvement
    parts for Range Rovers and Defenders. OME and Safari Guard are about it.
    Anything else is a one-off, that is, a couple guys do some mods to ONE
    truck and call themselves a company that supplies suspension mods. The
    demand for suspension modification is very limited, and trying to make a
    go of supplying parts is very difficult. All of them assume that you are
    made of money because you own a Defender or Rangie and charge for their
    sevices accordingly. These trucks come from the factory set up very well
    for 98 percent of the buying public, so margin has to be quite fat in
    order to turn a profit on parts they sell. Imagine the amount of time
    these people have to spend on the phone with customers addressing
    various installation, warranty and repair issues. I should think that
    even with the prices they charge, they don't really make all that much
    on this kind of enterprise.
    Our friend Joe on the other hand should experience the joy and travail
    of Series truck ownership before sinking a pile of money/time/effort
    into a total custom. Parabolics and lockers will get you just about
    anywhere.
    I'd put my 109 safari diesel up against a V8 90 in the mud any day.
    Those things get stuck where the 109 floats on through. I don't know
    why. You figure it out. OK, I couldn't keep up on a trail in Moab, but I
    bet I'd still get through (with a bit of prudent winching).

    --
    Bill Adams
    3D & Motion Graphics Design Director

    '66 Land Rover 109 SW Diesel '81 GoldWing '69 Le Sabre Convertible '63 Pearson Vanguard "Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching"