RE: LRO: Re: galvie / paint

From: Ben Mitchell (ben@mitchellfamily.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 11:36:59 EDT

    I would strongly encourage anyone who has his bulkhead galvanized to just
    leave it bare.

    I had mine done a few months ago and in spite of a good etching prep the
    paint isn't very well adhered. I'm afraid it's going to look quite spotty
    in a few years.

    On the galvanizing front, it worked quite nicely - no significant warpage to
    speak of. The only problems I had were that there are lots of places for
    the zinc to puddle, and so there was some grinding to be done to clean it
    up. Also, all the "tubes" (bolt holes, front vent flap mount holes, etc)
    filled up with zinc and they were a cast iron b!+(# to clean out.

    -Ben