Re: LRO: Yellow Knob will not stay down

From: Ian Stuart (Ian.Stuart@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 12:23:12 EDT

    On Thursday 21 June 2001 16:08, you wrote:
    > The yellow knob will not stay down under any circumstances. If held,
    > it will work. What is it that physically/mechanically hold it down
    > until you move the red back/forwards?
    > Thanks
    Having taken one of these apart recently, I know this one...
    Note: the specifics of which rod does what may be wrong, but the
    concept is correct.

    This is much easier to follow with a gearbox to look at ;)

    As always, your primary reference should be a workshop-style manual..

    In the "nose" of the transfer box (the bit that is parallel to, and
    right of, the main gearbox, there are two rods.

    The two rods are linked together with a piece of "H" shaped metal, so
    one can move the other back by using the "H" as a fulcrum:

    <this needs a fix-width font>
    ========*====0 <-- red lever?
            %
    ========+====
    <end of fix-width font>

    One (the inside one?) has the red-topped lever attached to it, and the
    other terminates inside the dust cover.

    The inside rod controls a cog that engages low box in the main transfer
    housing

    The outside one (by the above logic) has a large spring along it's
    length, which tends to push the rod to the front. This rod engages 4WD

    In the rest position: 4x2xhigh, the red lever is forward, and the
    yellow lever is up. The yellow lever is attached to a pin that goes
    into the very end of the "nose". This pin is holding an "h" shaped
    piece of metal in place.

    <this needs a fix-width font>
     ========*====0 <-- red lever?
             % <-- pivoting "H" piece
             %
     ========+====
    <end of fix-width font>

    By moving the red lever back, you force the other rod forwards, thus
    engaging low box (by moving cogs with the red-lever-rod) and 4wd, by
    allowing the other rod to be pushed forwards by the spring

    Thus:
    <this needs a fix-width font>
    =======*====0 <-- red lever?
            % <-- pivoting "H" piece
             %
      ========+====
    <end of fix-width font>

    By moving the red lever forwards, you pull the 4wd rod backwards
    (compressing the spring), disengaging 4wd.

    From the rest position again, by pushing the yellow lever down, this
    lifts the pin that is holding the "H" pivot in place, and the 4wd rod
    is again pushed forwards by the spring, however the Hi/Lo rod has not
    moved, so the vehicle is still in high box.

    Thus:
    <this needs a fix-width font>
     ========*====0 <-- red lever?
             % <-- pivoting "H" piece
              %
       ========+====
    <end of fix-width font>

    The problem now is that the "H" piece is in the wrong position for the
    pin to be re-inserted, so the Hi/Lo lever has to be pulled backwards to
    angle the "H" piece

    So, by moving the red lever to the rear, the spring that you see above
    the tunnel can push the yellow lever up - which therefor pushes the pin
    into the newly re-aligned hole (you are now in 4x4xlow.

    Therefor you can once again move the red lever forwards, and the "H"
    piece will picot about the pin, and dis-engage 4x4.

    --
    Ian Stuart - EDINA, DataLibrary, University computing services.