Re: LRO: Re: Air Compressor

From: Jeff Berg (jeff@purpleshark.com)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 08:35:44 EDT

    One more note on this topic. My compressor is (was?) an Emglo
    <http://www.emglo.com> which worked fine for over ten years but have
    bit the dust last week. It was purchased as a transportable air
    source for my pneumatic staple guns--for which it is ideally suited.
    It's too small for painting (though it has done a boat bottom or
    three.) It's also a little too small for using impact guns or air
    ratchets on a continuous basis--though it was pressed into service
    for this task many times which probably contributed to it's demise
    while using a blower nozzle at near-constant duty cycle.)

    I have no "religious" leanings towards which brand of compressor is
    best. I will, however, preach the gospel when it comes to the PREVOST
    disconnects that Steve D'G sells. They are the most positive
    locking--safest--and easiest to use disconnect available. They are
    well worth the extra expense. You don't have to be hit by a hose that
    you *thought* was locked many times to appreciate this. Or worse,
    have the loose hose go shooting into your workpiece and damage it
    somehow. Guilty on both counts before I saw the light.

    Avoid the collar-type disconnects, particularly the low-cost variety
    sold by national "discount" tool purveyors. They are less then ideal
    when new, and devil's spawn once worn. The PREVOST disconnects use
    are easy to engage...you KNOW your air supply line is locked in...and
    the hose is quickly disconnected with the push of a button. (The
    button has enough resistance that you won't disengage the coupler by
    accident.)

    jeff