Re: LRO: Air Compressor

From: Jeff Berg (jeff@purpleshark.com)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 08:06:45 EDT

    >The biggest one you can afford. Ignore HP ratings, look at the CFM ratings.
    >220V is a plus.

    I stand corrected. Dave speaks more accurately. What I really meant
    was one that can move a lot of air which is necessary for smooth
    operation of a spray gun. Horsepower is not a direct measurement of
    that ability, particularly in that there are several different way in
    which to measure horsepower.

    To provide you with the kind of information that you probably wanted
    to begin with, I refer you to
    <http://www.ultimategarage.com/compress.html>. My pal Steve
    D'Gerolamo (who lives and breathes tools) has written a short but
    concise article on this very topic--and will be happy to sell you one
    hell of a high quality compressor if you decide to go that route.
    (The article starts out by stating that most people can be very happy
    with a garden variety model.) He concurs with Dave:

            "The two basic rules on buying a compressor are:

            1. The most important specification for any compressor is ACFM
              @ 100psi (the higher the better). Forget horsepower...in this case.
            2. Buy the compressor with the highest ACFM (at 100psi) that
            you can afford."

    There are a few other pointers in the article, check it out.

    Hanging my head in shame...

    jeff

    --
    ==
      Jeffrey A. Berg     Purple Shark Media        Rowayton, CT