Re: LRO: Rear Axle Question

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Sat Jun 16 2001 - 11:37:48 EDT

    >In an effort to stop the flow of 90 wt oil into the right rear brake of my
    >1965 109, I have removed the reake shoes, hub assemblyand brake backing
    >plate, but the axle shaft is proving difficult to remove.

    Normally you just replace the inner hub seal and possibly the race if it
    is grooved. Oil on LR brake shoes is almost always getting past the
    inner hub oil seal.

    >Are there some good techniques to extract this shaft?

    Normally the axles just slide out. It could be the axle is just starting
    to twist. When you get it out check it carefully. If the axle has been
    on for more than 40K miles or if you have been using the LR hard it may
    be time to replace the pair of axles.

    If you can not wiggle it & have it come free try removing the other axle
    and use a long metal rod and a hammer to push the stuck axle out. This
    is a technique used when the axle breaks towards the middle and a longish
    piece is stuck in the spider gears.

    TeriAnn
                          http://www.overlander.net

      The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
      with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.