Re: LRO: Re: Oil pressure question.

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 14:59:39 EDT

    Oil pressure in most engines drops at idle. Engine oil pump is turning very
    low rpm and can't pump much oil at 800rpm. The engine also doesn't need
    much oil pressure to run at that RPM so not to worry. The light coming on
    with 25 psi shouldn't be happening, though. Think the light is switched at
    something around 10psi. Sounds like your gauge or light sensor is out of
    whack.

    It would be nice if pressure at speed was over 40psi but that's still enough
    pressure. Behavior of the pressure, over time, is something that you should
    have real concern about. If its holding steady in a range and not dropping
    as engine is worked, its probably okay. If pressure starts off high and
    then drops as oil warms, it could be the pressure relief in the pump, stuck
    full open. BTDT. Of the four 2 1/4 engines I've become intimate with, none
    ran pressure over 50psi at speed. Two of those engines were completely
    rebuilt so should have been running optimal pressure.

    FWIW Oil pressure is only a rough indication of an engines condition. When
    I bought my 109, it was undrivable because of the hydraulics. Engine
    started up fine and held good oil pressure, around 50 psi, after warming up.
      Thought the engine was okay until I decided to check the bearings for the
    hell of it while I had the transmission out. Bearings were worn down to the
    shell with almost no bearing material remaining. The crank had worn oval
    and needed to be ground. Engine was about ready to blow but the oil
    pressure sure didn't let me know that. If you really want to be sure about
    the bearings, you can pull the pan and check all but the rear main bearing
    with 'plastigauge'. You could throw in an oil pump rebuild kit while your
    in there, just to add a little insurance.

    I wouldn't worry about the oil pressure unless you have secondary
    indications like rod knock or other lower end thumps before the oil pressure
    builds up when starting up from cold.

    Aloha
    Peter O.