LRO: Re: Oil pressure question.

From: RON WARD (ronward@synovustrust.com)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 14:09:03 EDT

    Wow. My stock IIa set up runs 40psi at idle and 65 at 3000rpm.

    >>> Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com 06/15/01 11:46AM >>>
    Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:44:46 -0400
    From: Keith Tanner <keith@miata.net>
    Subject: LRO: Oil pressure question.

    >Since I installed a spin-on oil filter adaptor, I've been getting only 25
    psi of pressure at idle (according to my gauge) and the warning light comes
    on. Running pressure is about 40. Oil weight is 10W40 as it was before the
    installation. Should I be concerned?

    That sounds awfully low, especially at idle. My SIII has always had a minimum
    of 40 psi (12:00 position on the dial, which I think is 40 psi), and the
    pressure difference between idle and cruising rpm is negligible UNLESS I let
    the oil get a bit low. Then the pressure drops to a needle's width or so below
    the midpoint on the dial at idle, and climbs back to a needle's width above the
    midpoint when the revs go back up. Returning the oil level to the correct level
    fixes this, and there is virtually no difference between idle psi and 3,000 rpm
    psi. If you're getting only 25 psi at idle plus the
    light comes on, I'd say you have a problem. I have always used Castrol 20-40
    in my SIII, so I wouldn't say the cause of your low pressure is the wrong weight
    oil. My engine has the original filter system on it, but I have heard that it's possible
    to install a spin-on adapter in such a way that the oil pressure is negatively affected.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE